Top Rated Physical Therapist
Award Physical Therapy Clinic
Best Reviewed Physical Therapist in North Hollywood
#1 Rated Physical Therapy Clinic in Toluca Lake
Whats the difference between a Physical Therapist and a Chiropractor?
Once we suffer from musculoskeletal issues, many of us are in some sort of dilemma whether we should visit a physical therapist or a chiropractor. It is imperative to comprehend these two professions prior to visiting any one of them.
In fact, physical therapists and chiropractors are similar as well as very different in a lot of ways. Both of them aid in treating injuries of various types to the human body. A chiropractor will primarily focus on the diagnosis as well as treatment of some mechanical issues of our musculoskeletal system. While a physical therapist happens to be a medical expert who offer treatments of various types of injuries plus ailments which can be triggered by aging. Let us compare these two professions one by one.
1. Internship and Residency - A chiropractor will have a one year internship which happens to be the same as other medicinal courses out there. However, there is no need for residency, and they can choose whether they want to complete it or not. A physical therapist needs to complete all of the curriculums needed. It is going to be at least thirty weeks of full-time internship. While residency will be imperative for all specialties, this must be properly certified as well.
2. Specific practice - On most occasions, the chiropractors are going to have personal practice clinics. However, you will likewise come across those that are employed by hospitals and other health systems. Their primary focus will be on general practice plus general as well as neurology-related alignment restoration that is concerned with the skeletal system. On the other hand, a physical therapist will be accountable for outpatient as well as inpatient neurological rehab, acute care, orthopedics, pediatrics, geriatrics, sports medicine, military, men’s and women’s health, work rehab, wound care, electrophysiology, and so forth.
3. Medical status - DC happens to be the short form of Doctor of Chiropractric. However, they do not fall into the category of medical professionals. In fact, chiropractors are considered to be healthcare providers by some states, and some likewise do not. It is primarily for insurance purposes. PT is the short form of Physical Therapist. Like the chiropractors out there, they are likewise not accepted as medical practitioners, and for this reason, they will not be capable of prescribing medicines. The insurance providers classify them as specialty practitioners.
4. Treatment methods - Chiropractors usually make use of treatment techniques that can range from joint adjustments to soft tissue mobilization. Apart from these, they likewise employ acupuncture, pain management, as well as electrical stimulation. On the other hand, the physical therapists employ manual treatment techniques including joint manipulation as well as modalities. Besides these, they also make use of gait training, sports performance, neurologic rehabilitation, muscle coordination as well as performance. They likewise perform tissue mobilization, wound care, cardiovascular rehab, massage therapy, and so on.
5. Prescribing medicines - Chiropractors are not able to prescribe medicines in most of the countries and states. A physical therapist has got the authority to prescribe medicines because of the fact that they have already undertaken a course in pharmacology. One notable exception happens to be the military in which case the physical therapists have no power to prescribe medicines.